Thursday 1 August 2013

Confessions of a shopaholic...

                  Nowadays, the term 'shopaholic'has spread like a disease not only in U.S, but all over the world. Someone told me that it can also be used as a therapy to better ones mood.

                  Being a shopaholic, I would agree to that 'therapy' part. It becomes almost compulsory to shop every time I go out. Not that I need to buy anything useful every time, but somehow I cannot refrain myself from buying stuff. It is very easy to become shopaholic today even without even realizing it. 

*****************************************

                    Although I live in Kolkata, I dont like the city much, but then shopping here can be great fun when walking through Gariahat , in south Kolkata. It makes a shopaholic like me crazy, (like a kid let loose in a candy store) with a number of streets flanking the main road, the stalls skirting the pavement. Gariahat market offers the most extensive collection of jewelleries, scarves, clothes, sarees shoes, books and what not.  i never get bored roaming around the streets again and again.

                       Gariahat market often reminds me of the poem 'Bazaars of Hyderabad' by Sarojini Naidu. 
" what do you sell o ye merchant?
    richly your wares are displayed.
    turbans of crimson and silver,
    tunics of purple brocades,....

What do you make, o ye goldsmiths?
wristlet and anklet and ring,
bells for feet of blue pidgeons
frail as a dragonfly's wing,....."


All the noise, the hustle and bustle in the street makes it quite an experience. Although I am terrible in bargaining, it is fun. Hardly three weeks before, I gifted myself two pairs of shoes, a pair of jeggings and a t-shirt. "someday I will have a wardrobe full of shoes" were my exact thoughts while I was paying. In the beginning of every month, when I get my salary, I promise not to buy anything which is not needed. As soon as I reach a mall, I think, "oh well, promises are meant to be broken" and again I go for a shopping spree.

**********************************************

                 During every month end if I ever want to buy something, I tend to drag someone with me who I wish would pay for me but no one does that....  *sigh*
Nevertheless I look forward to the next month so that I can resume my shopping happily....

7 comments: